There are 2 ways to install a WordPress theme: through the WordPress admin panel, or via FTP.
Installation via the WordPress admin panel
After downloading the <themename>_package.zip file file to your computer unzip it:
- Go to Appearance → Themes in your WordPess admin panel
- Click on the Add New button
- Click the Upload Theme button
- Click the Browse button, select the <themename>.zip file on your computer
- Click the Install Now button
- Your new theme will now be uploaded and activated.
Installation via FTP
Alternatively you can upload your theme directly to your server with a FTP client. Just drop the unzipped theme folder into your “/wp-content/themes/” folder. Now you can see your new theme in your WordPress admin panel under Appearance → Themes. You can activate your new theme by clicking the Activate button, which appears on mouse hover.